It’s Thanksgiving Week, and no one wants to be thinking about college applications, right? But the application deadlines keep coming. As the next one approaches on December 1, students need to complete their applications and get them in. The holidays can become a big distraction, so encourage your student to make a push to finish up and THEN enjoy Winter Break.
Be Aware of Application Deadlines
Early Action and Early Decision deadlines have mostly come and gone. However, there are a few exceptions:
The Marquette University Priority Application deadline is December 1 with a decision in 2-3 weeks. After that, applications will be considered on a space-available basis for admission and scholarship.
Miami University (of Ohio) has an Early Action II (non-binding) deadline of December 1, with a decision by February 1. Their regular decision deadline is February 1, with a decision by March 15.
Still Working on That Application? Here’s What to Do
Many of the most heavily-applied to schools from this area have regular admission deadlines in January, February and March. After those deadlines, acceptance may be on a space-available basis. Students who have not completed their applications need to do the following:
- Consult the college website to be sure of the deadline. Have your materials to your guidance counselor at least 3-4 weeks in advance of the application deadline.
- Obtain recommendations if needed ASAP.
- Write the essay! If using the Common Application, look over the essay prompts and choose one to write about.
The holidays are a great time to visit with cousins and other young relatives who may be in college or recently finished. After the turkey dinner is done, students can get input on schools, majors, classes and what to expect:
- In your opinion, what’s the most important thing to look at in choosing a school? Was your school the right choice for you? Looking back, what would you have done differently?
- How did you choose your major? How hard is it to change majors? Did you keep the same major through graduation?
- What is the workload like compared to high school?
For help with completing an application essay, contact Knowledge Edge at Mequon@Knowledge-Edge.net or call 262-238-8867.